Do You Really Need Gadget Travel Insurance?


Travellers opening up their suitcases and carry-ons right now are coming face to face with hundreds, if not thousands of pounds worth of gadgets which they have hauled along with them as they traverse the globe. Unfortunately, a number of these travellers will end up losing these gadgets, having them stolen, or damaging them throughout the process.

Losing a piece of technology which you have come to depend on and which may be loaded with memories or important data is distressing enough. Thinking about the expense of replacing that piece of technology, however, only adds further pain to an already stressful situation. This is why more travel insurance companies are now offering what is referred to as gadget travel insurance.

What Is Gadget Travel Insurance?

Almost every traveller carries one gadget (if not more) when they travel. Whether it is a smartphone, a tablet, an MP3 player, or an e-reader, we all have some piece of technology accompanying us on our travels. Travel insurance for these gadgets is geared towards financially protecting travellers and their expensive electronics. The best type of travel insurance for your electronics will cover:

  • Theft
  • Accidental Damage
  • Liquid Damage

Doesn’t My Travel Insurance Policy Cover My Items?

A common misconception that travellers have is that their expensive gizmos will be covered should they go missing or become damaged. The fact is that most basic policies will not cover items such as smartphones and that more expensive cameras and laptops will hardly be covered by what the policy has to offer. Many policies within the UK will cover no more than £300 should you lose a pricier piece of technology, which often leaves UK travellers thousands of pounds out of pocket when replacing these items.

What about My Home Insurance?

Your home insurance will likely provide some coverage for your items should you be travelling with them. However, if you do have more expensive items worth £1000 or more, you may not be fully compensated for the depreciated worth of your item.

How to Get the Most out of Your Policy

If you are carrying anything more than an older smartphone with you as you travel, then having separate travel insurance for your gadgets is likely worth the few extra pounds. In order to get the most out of your policy, you must:

  • Purchase the gadget insurance while you are in the UK. Most providers make this a rule and will not provide you with insurance after you have left the UK.
  • Cover only items which are “new.” Every insurance provider will have a cap on what age an item must be. Expect most insurance providers to cover items which are within zero to five years old (apart from laptops which must often be between zero to two years old). Any items older than that may not be covered.
  • Own the items. The items which will be covered by your policy should be owned outright by you. This means that a laptop or phone leased or under contract will not be covered. Be prepared to have proof of purchase ready.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here